Employent and Labor Law
With experienced specialists HUEMMERICH-legal is one of the leading law firms in the field of employment and labor law. Our diverse advisory team guarantees knowledge of the industry, negotiating skills and legal knowledge. Our labor lawyers are specialized in subfields of labor law and demonstrate their high degree of expertise by publications and lectures. We invite you to learn more about our lawyers on our homepage.
Besides the legal advice, we attribute great importance to the collaboration with our clients in order to find best solutions to their problems. Our service is available all over Germany.
The law firm advises and represents inter alia global players, medium-sized companies, associations, authorities and non-profit organizations in the area of employment and labor law. Moreover, the consultation and representation of management boards, directors, executives and employees also play a key role in this field.
Our services and clients
Whom we represent:
We represent employers as well as employees, works councils, personnel boards and employee representative committees in the area of labor law. Moreover, we assist directors of limited companies (GmbH), board-members of a public limited company (AG), other executives and managers as well as freelancers.
As a future client of HUEMMERICH legal, you need to be aware of this since there are law firms, which represent only employers or only employees or works councils. We are not acting on political or ideological grounds but we are experts of employment and labor law and make a full contribution that benefits our clients. The years of experience and the constant change of perspective (from an employee’s perspective and an employer’s perspective) strengthen our perspective and way of thinking at differing positions and interests as well as at the relevant strengths and weaknesses in the particular case. Those who know the perspective of the opposing party are able to optimally estimate their own opportunities and risks. This is the reason why we are not reduced to a certain role as “the law firm for employers” or “the law firm for employees”.
Our clients whom we support in all questions regarding employment and labor law come from the greater Cologne/Bonn area, however, a good part of our clients are from all over the country and due to the emphasis on international labor law also from a number of countries around the globe (companies as well as expatriates). Over time, it was observable that opponents can become clients. A lot of them say: “You did a better job than my lawyer.” Every service provide is pleased about satisfied customers like us, but lawyers are sworn to secrecy and are allowed to communicate about the counseling of a client only with his/her permission.
At this point, we would like to describe only a few business aereas and non-profit-fields in which we render employment and labor law services:
As regards the employers, we advise and represent in the following sectors and institutions in particular:
- Public banks from the region
- Logistics corporations
- Franchisee of system catering
- Public pension funds of freelancers
- Furniture stores
- Forwarding companies
- Mechanical engineers
- Metal and plastic processing companies
- Construction and civil engineering companies
- Hospitals being under churchly leadership
- Food corporations
- Various charitable organizations
- Moreover, numerous small entrepreneurs from Bonn and from the surrounding area among them craft businesses, retail stores, physicians, dentists, tax consultants and other lawyers.
On the employee’s side:
- Managing directors of a limited company, managing board-members of stock corporations, executives and other managers, skilled personnel and other employees.
- Works councils, spokesmen of officers, employee representative committee, personnel councils.
The Federal Constitutional Court has determined that information about opponents is not subject to the obligation to confidentiality (decision of 12 December 2007, registered under the number BvR 1625/06). Lists of opponents show clients and prospective clients that a mandate is not excluded by a conflict of interests and that we have expertise in legal disputes with specific opponents.
The large numbers of mandates and opponents make it impossible to mention all their names. Therefore, the following list is limited to large and particularly relevant employers as opponents. We have structured them in the following areas: local (City of Bonn), regional (Rhine-Sieg county, Erft county, Cologne, Euskirchen county, Rhine-Bergisch county, county of Ahrweiler) and national (even international).
Employers from Bonn:
- 3H Automobile GmbH
- 4-advice GmbH
- Actuell Personal GmbH
- Agfa Healthcare GmbH
- AOK Systems GmbH
- I.M. Allgemeine Industriemontagen GmbH
- m.consult GmbH
- Auswärtiges Amt
- Autobahn Tank & Rast GmbH
- Automobilgruppe Dirkes GmbH
- BAD Gesundheitsvorsorge und Sicherheitstechnik GmbH
- Beethoven-Haus Bonn
- BMW AG
- Bonnfinanz AG für Vermögensberatung und Vermittlung
- Bonntrans Hans Herschel GmbH
- Botschaft Vereinigte Arabische Emirate
- Bundesagentur für Arbeit
- Bundesamt für Wehrverwaltung
- Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht (BaFin)
- Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung (BIBB)
- Bundesministerium der Verteidigung
- Bundesministerium für Gesundheit und Soziale Sicherung
- Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit
- Bundesstadt Bonn – Amt für Stadtreinigung und Abfallwirtschaft
- Caritasverband für die Stadt Bonn e.V.
- Clifford Thames GmbH
- DBB Akademie
- DER Deutsches Reisebüro GmbH & Co. OHG
- Detecon International GmbH
- Deutsche Angestellten Akademie DAA
- Deutsche Shell AG
- Deutsche Telekom AG
- Deutsche Welle
- Deutscher Raiffeisenverband e.V.
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.
- Diakonisches Werk Bonn und Region – gemeinnützige GmbH
- Eaton Industries GmbH
- EUROMOVERS Deutschland GmbH
- Feld GmbH & Co. KG
- FID Verlag GmbH
- Germania Gebäudedienste GmbH
- GIZ Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (auch: Eschborn)
- GO! General-Overnight GmbH
- Hans Blatzheim Bauunternehmung GmbH & Co. KG
- HARIBO GmbH & Co. KG
- Heinrich Thomas GmbH & Co. KG
- Herschel & Hoffmann GmbH
- Hüller & Brunn GmbH & Co. KG
- IBM Deutschland GmbH
- Interschutz Nord
- InWent gGmbH
- T.E.N.O.S. GmbH
- IVG Immobilien AG
- JS Deutschland GmbH
- Kaiser Karl Hotel
- Kautex Textron GmbH & Co. KG
- Köllen & Druck Verlag GmbH
- Kötter Services-Gruppe
- La Linea Franca GmbH
- Landwirtschaftskammer Rheinland
- LVR-Klinik – Landschaftsverband Rheinland
- Magnetfabrik Bonn GmbH
- Netto Marken-Discount AG & Co. KG
- Neurologisches Rehabilitationszentrum
- Postbank AG
- Postbank Factoring GmbH
- Postbank Systems AG
- RKG Rheinische Kraftwagen GmbH & Co. KG
- Schmitz Haustechnik GmbH
- Seniorenresidenz Rheinallee
- Serco GmbH
- SGL Carbon GmbH
- Siba security service GmbH
- SolarWorld AG (Bonn)
- Stadt Bonn
- Stadtwerke Bonn Dienstleistungs-GmbH
- Steep GmbH
- Stollfuß Medien GmbH & Co. KG
- Studentenwerk Bonn AöR
- Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- T-Mobile Deutschland GmbH
- TEAM Relocations GmbH
- Tegtmeier Hörakustik GmbH
- TGE Gas Engineering GmbH
- Universitätsklinikum Bonn
- UPS Deutschland inc. & Co. OHG
- Verband der Reservisten der Deutschen Bundeswehr e.V.
- Verlag für die Deutsche Wirtschaft AG (Rentrop-Gruppe)
- Verlag Rheinischer Merkur GmbH
- VÖB-ZVD Bank GmbH
- Volksbank Bonn Rhein-Sieg e.G.
- Walter Heck GmbH
- Zürich IT Service AG
- Zürich Service GmbH
- Zurich Gruppe Deutschland
Regional employers from the counties of: Rhine-Sieg, Erftkreis, Cologne, Euskirchen, Rhine-Bergisch, Ahrweiler and Neuwied
- ABB AG (Bad Honnef)
- AGEH e.V. (Köln)
- Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG (Berlin)
- Aktiengesellschaft Bad Neuenahr (Bad Neuenahr)
- Akzo Nobel Deco GmbH (Köln)
- Aldi Süd GmbH & Co. KG (Sankt Augustin)
- Alpha Industrial GmbH & Co. KG (Köln)
- Autohaus Jacob Fleischhauer GmbH (Köln)
- Autohaus Wolter GmbH (Wachtberg)
- Azelis Deutschland GmbH (Sankt Augustin)
- BEMIS Packaging Deutschland GmbH (Meckenheim)
- Bezirksregierung Köln (Köln)
- Bildungsverlag Eins GmbH (Köln)
- BNP Paribas Lease Group SA (Köln)
- Bundesagentur für Arbeit (Siegburg)
- BWI Informationstechnik Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (Meckenheim)
- Celerant Consulting GmbH (Düsseldorf)
- Coca-Cola Erfrischungsgetränke AG (Köln und Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler)
- Dachser GmbH & Co. KG (Köln)
- Deutsche Lufthansa AG (Köln)
- Deutsche Mechatronics GmbH (Mechernich)
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (Köln)
- Deutz AG (Köln)
- Distributions GmbH – 31 (Hürth)
- Dohle Handelsgruppe Service GmbH & Co. KG (Siegburg)
- Dom-Hotel Betriebsgesellschaft mbH (Köln)
- DOM-Sicherheitstechnik GmbH & Co. KG (Brühl)
- DPD GeoPost (Deutschland) GmbH (Erftstadt)
- Erzbistum Köln (Köln)
- Evonik Industries AG (Lülsdorf/Niederkassel)
- Fedex (Köln)
- filmpool entertainment GmbH (Hürth)
- Fleischhof Rasting GmbH (Meckenheim)
- FLYMEX GmbH (Köln)
- Ford-Werke GmbH (Köln)
- Fourné Polymertechnik GmbH (Alfter)
- Fritz Schmidt Metallgießerei GmbH & Co. KG (Meckenheim)
- Galeria Kaufhof (Köln)
- General Material Technology GmbH (Kerpen)
- GKN Driveline International GmbH (Lohmar)
- GKN-Walterscheid GmbH (Lohmar)
- Godding +Dressler GmbH (Meckenheim)
- Grünenthal GmbH (Aachen)
- Hans Werner Pütz Garten- und Landschaftsgestaltung (Niederkassel)
- Harry Brot GmbH (Troisdorf)
- Hayes-Lemmerz Werke GmbH (Königswinter)
- HEUFT SYSTEMTECHNIK GmbH (Burgbrohl)
- Hewlett-Packard GmbH (Köln)
- Hohenhonnef GmbH (Bad Honnef)
- HRS-Hotel Reservation Service Robert Ragge GmbH (Köln)
- HSBC Global Asset Management Deutschland GmbH (Düsseldorf)
- Hyatt Regency Cologne GmbH (Köln)
- ISG Institut für Sozialforschung und Gesellschaftspolitik GmbH (Köln)
- Kalnik Vertriebs-GmbH (Alfter)
- Kölner Bank eG (Köln)
- Kölner Wach- und Schließgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG (Köln)
- Kreiskrankenhaus Waldbröl (Waldbröl)
- LEG NRW GmbH (Düsseldorf)
- Leisen Hydraulik (Troisdorf)
- LH Bundeswehr Bekleidungsgesellschaft mbH (Köln)
- L+L Lieferservice und Logistik GmbH (Vettelschoß)
- LMK Logistikmagazin GmbH (Köln)
- Mannstaedt GmbH (Troisdorf)
- Markeli & Langlotz GmbH & Co. KG (Gummersbach)
- McKinsey & Company (Köln)
- Megapharm GmbH (Sankt Augustin)
- Miltenyi Biotec GmbH (Bergisch Gladbach)
- MKM Mundorf GmbH & Co. Immobilien KG (Troisdorf)
- MORGAN-REKOFA GmbH (Remagen)
- Naumann & Göbel Verlagsgesellschaft mbH (Köln)
- Neugart KG (Hennef)
- Nissan Center Europe GmbH (Brühl)
- Orica Europe Pty. Ltd. & Co. KG (Troisdorf)
- Penny-Markt Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (Köln)
- Philip Morris Research Laboratories GmbH (Köln)
- PIRONET NDH Datacenter GmbH (Köln)Raiffeisen Waren-Zentrale Rhein-Main eG (Köln)
- Randstadt Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG (Brühl)
- real,- SB-Warenhaus GmbH (St. Augustin)
- Reifenhäuser GmbH & Co. KG Maschinenfabrik (Troisdorf)
- Reiloy Metall GmbH (Troisdorf)
- REWE Touristik GmbH (Köln)
- REWE-Zentral AG (Köln)
- Rhein-Sieg-Verkehrsgesellschaft – Sieglar (Troisdorf)
- Rheintec GmbH (Grevenbroich)
- RHENAC Stanzteile GmbH (Bornheim)
- Rungis express AG (Meckenheim)
- Saint-Gobain-Glass GmbH (Köln)
- Sarstedt AG & Co. (Nümbrecht)
- Oppenheim jr. & Cie. AG & Co. KGaA (Köln)
- SC Johnson Wax GmbH (Erkrath)
- Schorn Elektroanlagen GmbH (Sankt Augustin)
- Schüring Fenster- und Türtechnologie GmbH (Troisdorf)
- Servona GmbH (Troisdorf)
- Siegwerk Druckfarben AG & Co. KGaA (Siegburg)
- Siemens AG (Köln)
- Spielbank Bad Neuenahr (Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler)
- Stiftung Marien-Hospital Euskirchen (Euskirchen)
- STRABAG Real Estate GmbH (Köln)
- TNT Express GmbH (Troisdorf)
- Tokai Carbon Deutschland GmbH (Buchholz-Mendt)
- Trocellen GmbH (Köln)
- Trolining GmbH (Troisdorf)
- TX Logistik AG (Bad Honnef)
- Uniklinik (Köln)
- Unitymedia NRW GmbH (Köln)
- VEGA Deutschland GmbH (Köln)
- Volksbank Wachtberg e.G. (Wachtberg)
- WDR – Westdeutscher Rundfunk (Köln)
- WISAG Sicherheit & Service Nordwest GmbH & Co. KG (Köln)
- Wunderman GmbH (Köln)
National and international employers:
- Accenture GmbH (Kronberg)
- Allianz Deutschland AG (München)
- Allianz Beratungs- und Vertriebs-AG (Hamburg)
- Autohaus Heinrich Rosier GmbH & Co. KG (Menden)
- AXA Expansion Fund (Paris, Frankreich)
- Bahlsen GmbH & Co. KG (Hannover)
- Barmer Ersatzkasse (Wuppertal)
- Basler Versicherungen (Bad Homburg a.T. und Hamburg)
- Bayer AG (Leverkusen)
- BBDO Germany GmbH (Düsseldorf)
- Beiersdorf AG (Hamburg)
- Bertelsmann AG (Gütersloh)
- BEUMER Maschinenfabrik GmbH & Co. KG (Beckum)
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH (Ingelheim am Rhein)
- British Embassy (Berlin)
- Carl Hanser Verlag GmbH & Co. KG (München)
- Celesio AG (Stuttgart)
- CIM Centrum für internationale Migration und Entwicklung (Frankfurt a.M.)
- COLGATE-PALMOLIVE GmbH (Hamburg)
- Commerzbank AG (Frankfurt a.M.)
- Condor Flugdienst GmbH (Kelsterbach)
- CSC Deutschland Services GmbH (Wiesbaden)
- Daimler AG (Stuttgart)
- De Boer GmbH (Recklinghausen)
- Deutsche Familienversicherung AG (Frankfurt a.M.)
- Deutsches Reisenbüro GmbH & Co. OHG (Frankfurt a.M.)
- DIRAK Dieter Ramsauer Konstruktionselemente GmbH (Ennepetal)
- EADS Deutschland GmbH (Immenstaad)
- Edeka Handelsgesellschaft Rhein-Ruhr mbH (Moers)
- E-Plus Mobilfunk GmbH & Co. KG (Düsseldorf)
- Euronews (Ecully FRANKREICH)
- Europcell GmbH (Hanau)
- European Medicines Agency (London, UK)
- Fachhochschule für öffentliche Verwaltung NRW (Gelsenkirchen)
- Ferro GmbH (Frankfurt a.M.)
- Ferrostaal GmbH (Essen)
- Focus Verlag (München)
- GEA Heat Exchangers GmbH (Bochum)
- Goodyear Dunlop Tires Germany GmbH (Hanau)
- Hagebaumarkt Langenfeld GmbH (Leverkusen)
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA (Düsseldorf)
- Hewlett-Packard GmbH (Böblingen)
- HOPPECKE Batterien GmbH & Co. KG (Brilon)
- HSBC Global Asset Management (Deutschland) GmbH (Düsseldorf)
- HSG Zander Luxemburg S.à.r.l. (Luxemburg)
- HSH Nordbank AG (Hamburg)
- Huntsman Textile Effects (Germany) GmbH (Langweid)
- Ixetic Bad Homburg GmbH (Bad Homburg)
- Janssen-Cilag GmbH (Neuss)
- Jefferson Wells GmbH (Bad Homburg)
- Johnson Controls IFM Industrie GmbH (Essen)
- Kaiser’s TEngelmann GmbH (Mülheim)
- Kronenbrot KG (Würselen)
- LEG Wohnen NRW GmbH (Ratingen)
- LEONI Kerpen GmbH (Stolberg)
- Lidl Vertriebs GmbH & Co. KG (Bietigheim und Leverkusen)
- Lufthansa AG (Frankfurt)
- LVR-Zentrum für Medien und Bildung (Düsseldorf)
- Malteser Krankenhaus St. Anna (Duisburg)
- Mars Drinks GmbH (Verden)
- Messko GmbH (Oberursel)
- Metro AG (Düsseldorf)
- MISEREOR e.V. Bischöfliches Hilfswerk (Aachen)
- Mobilcom-debitel Shop GmbH (Oberkrämer)
- Mondi Consumer Packaging International AG (Greven)
- Nestlé S.A. (Vevey, Schweiz)
- Nokia/Navteq (Schwalbach)
- Novartis Pharma GmbH (Nürnberg)
- Postbank Filialvertrieb AG (Berlin)
- Praktiker Deutschland GmbH (Zirndorf)
- Procter&Gamble (Schwalbach)
- Remex Entsorgungsgesellschaft Borken GmbH (Legden)
- Rheinischer Sparkassen- und Giroverband (Düsseldorf)
- Sandoz Pharmaceuticals GmbH (Ismaning)
- SAP Deutschland AG & Co. KG (Walldorf)
- Schlecker (Ehingen)
- Schneider Electric GmbH (Ratingen)
- Schönmackers Umweltdienst GmbH & Co. KG (Kempen)
- Schützen Rheinfelden AG (Rheinfelden, Schweiz)
- Siemens AG (München)
- SIMONSWERK GmbH (Rheda-Wiedenbrück)
- T-Systems International GmbH (Frankfurt a.M.)
- Talanx AG (Hannover)
- TechniSat Digital GmbH (Daun)
- Telefónica o2 Germany GmbH & Co. KG (München)
- Tengelmann Warenhandelsgesellschaft KG (Mülheim an der Ruhr)
- Thyssen Krupp AG (Essen)
- Toyota Material Handling Deutschland GmbH (Langenhagen)
- Uhde GmbH (Dortmund)
- UNIT4 Business Software GmbH (München)
- VBL Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder (Karlsruhe)
- Verlagsgruppe Handelsblatt GmbH (Düsseldorf)
- Vinzenz Pallotti Hospital GmbH (Bergisch Gladbach)
- Vodafone D2 GmbH (Ratingen)
- VOSS Automotive GmbH (Wipperfürth)
- Weiss Druck GmbH & Co. KG (Monschau)
- Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitungsverlagsgesellschaft (Essen)
- WestLB AG (Düsseldorf)
- I.S. Sicherheit & Service GmbH & Co. KG (Mainz)
- Young & Rubicam Brands Germany GmbH (Frankfurt a.M.)
- ZARA Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG (Hamburg)
- ZDF (Mainz)
- Zürich-Beteiligungs-AG (Frankfurt a.M.)
Change of attorney
If you loose confidence that you have placed in your lawyer during the period of the current mandate whether outside the court or at a trial, you should think about a change of attorney. Moreover, if you are of the opinion that your lawyer is not able to meet your requirements or if you feel insufficiently informed and supported, you should become active.
Such a change of attorney is possible at any time. He can help you save a lot of time and money. Make sure you change your lawyer in due time, so that the new lawyer has still a chance to win your trial.
The previous lawyer is entitled to remuneration for the work done so far. So, you do not run the risk of paying the full amount of attorneys’ fees twice.
If your lawyer failed to perform his contract, it is possible that you do not owe any compensation.
We are happy to assist you in answering your questions that arise while changing your lawyer. A sub-optimal support can cause considerable damages in the long run especially in the case of contract design and it can be worthwhile to prevent these risks.
Labor-law consulting on separation
You have the feeling that things in your working life were no longer as they had been in the past. Being under pressure to justify yourself, reserved behavior of your colleagues and being ignored during communication processes are indicators that your employer wants to terminate the employment.
If you have the impression that they distort the meaning of your words, it is about time for a consultant with respect to separation in order to protect your labor rights. Our consultants analyze your contractual situation and give you hints regarding conduct. In order to manage your crisis and receive fair and appropriate compensation, it is essential to know about behavioral techniques and develop an appropriate strategy.
For this reasons, avoid to write opinion letters without consultation with your advisor! You should analyze your opportunities and risks in order to find a secure way towards a new future and transform the conflict into a chance.
On the employer’s side, it is recommended to have a consultation on separation that is oriented towards legal situation and work environment before dismissing an employee or sending him on garden leave in order to avoid tactical and legal errors.
Drafting of employment contracts
The employment contract is the basis for every employment relationship and establishes the legal framework for the daily interaction between employer and employee.
Different interpretations of contractual clauses or the ignorance of certain circumstances when concluding the agreement are one of the most frequent reasons for conflicts between the parties of the contract. We design employment contracts for employers that are adapted to individual requirements and employment contracts, which can be used for a large number of employees.
In this case, desired goals for the employment relationship are applied in conjunction with provisions of the right governing general terms and conditions and protection of workers. In addition, a meaningful involvement of collective and legal norms are developed with the help of corresponding reference clauses.
For employees and executives, we take over the careful examination of a work contract and possible mantraps. We inform about problems that can arise during the course of a long-term employment relationship and which cannot be recognized by a layperson. Moreover, we provide practicable solutions and negotiate on better conditions than those originally agreed in the contract offer.
The lawyers of HUEMMERICH-legal rely on their wealth of experience due to long-established practice and academic work in the area of designing employment contracts. Our primary objective is to assert the interests of our clients whether of employers or employees on the basis of optimal formulations. This creates a reasonable foundation for a long-term employment relationship but also guarantees its settlement in accordance with interests in the case of separation.
One should know that shaping life in older days depends on drawn pension benefits.
State pensions are secure but the level show a substantial drop and therefore growing pension gaps should and must be closed by occupational pension. But the occupational pension has a highly complex law so that even an informed citizen is not able to understand it. A specific background knowledge is needed to understand concepts like deferred compensation, direct insurance, “Riester-pension” (retirement policy), pension funds, portability, non-forfeiture, contribution commitment with minimum benefit or the duty to make adjustments.
It can be assumed with certainty that a careless handling of pension scheme will have negative effects later on.
Labor law in the case of occupational pension holds many dangers, which – insofar as they are not recognized – may lead to massive financial disadvantages for companies, directors or employees. Prepare yourself well! HUEMMERICH-legal provides recognized legal experts in the area of occupational pension who support and advice you from composition or transformation of occupational pension schemes up to review of your permitted employee pension.
Industrial constitution law and personnel representation law
Industrial constitution law has a special level of importance in medium-sized and large companies, which should not be taken lightly. The same applies for personnel representation law in public services and the right to represent employees in church facilities.
We advise and represent companies, heads of services, works and staff councils from conflicts during an establishment of a works council and organizational issues during an establishment of a central works council, a group works council or European Works Council as well as from the utilization of office supplies, a secretary, an intranet access up to the exercise of substantive participation rights.
We draft and negotiate company agreements in all key areas of mandatory and voluntary co-determination. Furthermore, we support you with procedural questions and help you to find tailor-made solutions for the business. Here it has to be emphasized, that the opposition between the parties is not of a primary importance. In many cases, fair and open discussions are the foundation of sustainable agreements and we take the lead in the discussions between works councils and employers on questions about paying costs of our mandate.
If the parties do not agree on an adequate compromise, the conference should be continued in a mediated process settlement with a neutral chairperson in order to clarify emerging issues in regulation. We have wide-ranging experience in being an assessor for both sides; employers and works councils. In the case of disputes relating to legal issues, we conduct a decision-making procedure in labor courts, questions related to personnel representation law in administrative court and disputes arising from the right to represent employees in ecclesiastical courts.
Reconciliation of interests and social plan
Businesses of every size often have demand for adjustment to the economic and technological development, market trends and claims of lending banks.
This pressure of changes frequently leads to a reduction in the workforce. It must be determined whether a reconciliation of interests and a social plan is negotiable in enterprises with more than 20 employees and a works council. In collaboration with employers, we develop strategies for the implementation of actions needed – if possible in consensus with the works councils or against their concepts. The main focus lies on the realization, which depends on the interests of the company, workforce and works council and minimizing of friction losses.
On this issue, we work together with works councils in order to reduce the measures implemented by employers to a level that is inevitable for the business because no compensation of economic disadvantages would equal the avoidance of terminations. Reconciliations of interests are not mere shows in which the works council is not able to change anything. Experience shows that the works council can have a considerable influence on redundancies, which are allegedly irrevocable. Intelligent social plans and sustainable severance payments are needed for putting life into the word “social compatibility” in areas, where job losses are inevitable.
International labor law
Our law firm provides a wide range of experience and acknowledged expertise through professional publication and lectures held by specialist lawyer for labor law, Prof. Dr. Mauer.
It covers the contract design in the field of international deployment of executives and employees on the one hand. But on the other side, it covers the whole international social security legislation and tax law, the latter in cooperation with services of external tax advisers. We also provide the procurement of residence and work permits from the authorities. In terms of content, we create besides contracts company policies for travel expenses etc. in the form of operating agreements. In the last few years, we have tested the international cooperation with law firms in more than 50 developed countries and newly industrialized countries.
The lawyer, Prof. Dr. Reinhold Mauer, is a proven expert in the area of foreign assignment of employees.
Furthermore, our law firm represents executives and expatriates in cross-border disputes and termination cases.
The influence of European Labor Law on national labor law
In his working paper No. 1/2018 Prof. Dr. Mauer describes the status of executives (leading employees) under European Law.
Protection against unfair dismissal
Our advisors put a special focus on individual and comprehensive advice and representation of employers as well as employees in this area of law.
It is important that the advice is not only legally sound especially in the case of labor legislation or rather protection against unfair dismissal. In particular when terminating the employment relationship, practical know-how, knowledge of the sector and negotiation skills as well as well-founded legal knowledge are important. Based on this, the law firm works together with clients to develop individual solutions, which are customized to their practical problems. Besides the design and preparation of terminations as well as measures related to labor law, risk assessment and strategic advice also play a role in this case.
Moreover, in-court litigation is an inseparable element of our work and therefore we represent our clients in all court instances up to the Federal Labor Court and Federal Constitutional Court. A further focus of our work lies on termination of employment relationships with the help of cancellation agreements and winding-up agreements.
In this case, our professional advice in labor law covers additional types of legal systems like tax and social security law.
If an employee wants to enforce his rights against the will of his boss, he has to take legal action through the labor courts. The same applies to the other employer.
The laws require to observe tight deadlines. This means, when an employee does not complain against the termination within three weeks by lodging a claim to the labor court, he will loose all rights, which he might have.
If the question is posed whether the right person has dismissed on the employer’s side, you need to take immediate actions. For this reason: You have to act quickly! Lawyers, who are specialized in labor law, filing suits on a day-to-day basis or averting claims in court, are reliable partners in order to struggle for justice.
Our labor lawyers are processing nationwide and are admitted to practice in all labor courts. We cooperate with employees as well as companies. Moreover, we initiate proceedings in numerous courts, model case proceedings and proceedings for a preliminary ruling before the federal Constitutional Court and European Court of Justice.
We pay attention to the costs and discuss with clients appropriate decisions. The expense risk of the employee and the employer is lower at the first instance than at the other instances. Every party bears its own attorney fees regardless of the result of the legal proceeding and when a settlement about the whole dispute was reached, there are no court fees.
The labor law dispute resembles chess; Good labor lawyers think their moves quite forward.
Social security law
The social security law is closely tied to the labor and tax law and covers the following rights:
– statutory pension insurance law,
– health and nursing care insurance law,
– unemployment insurance law and
– workers compensation insurance law
The law firm represents the interests of companies or employees in the above-mentioned areas of social security law as far as they tied to labor law or corporate law. The review and judicial enforcement of the question of whether a social security contribution is mandatory for a director of a limited company or not, is a typical case. Questions related to the work status under §7 SGB IV are also important for such cases; especially to analyze the question, if a self-employed person has to be regarded as economically dependent service-provider.
On termination of the employment relationship, it is necessary to avoid a blocking period for unemployment benefits on a regular basis.
In the area of statutory accident insurance, we have expertise in legal questions on the employer’s side.
Collective bargaining law
The collective bargaining law has a great importance for most companies and associations.
Whether it is the negotiation of in-house collective agreements or the dispute between employer’s associations, individual employers and unions: We represent employer’s associations and unions inter alia in disputes concerning collective-bargaining capacity. These are regular disputes, which will be settled by the Federal Labor Court. Our activities include disputes between collective bargaining parties concerning conclusion of collective agreements, for instance conflicts related to industrial disputes.
Transactions and restructurings
Competitive requirements for former state-owned enterprises, medium-sized and large companies are mergers and acquisitions as well as extensive restructuring programs.
Besides corporate and tax law, labor law is a significant factor for the success of transactions and restructurings. Particularly corporate co-determination and individual protection provisions affect the success of entrepreneurial measures in Germany.
Our team of specialists, who have experience in the field of labor and economic law, advises companies of every size on all aspects of transactions and restructurings under company law. These include supervision and audit of company transfers and changes of operations, implementation of due diligence, advice on aspects of transaction under collective bargaining law (tariff change, unification replacement of tariff), supervision under industrial constitution law (balance of interests and negotiations of social compensation plans, conciliation committee), advice on occupational pension, designing the parts of company acquisition contracts and merger agreements under labor law.
In addition, our consulting service includes supervision of restructurings and operational changes (changes in the workforce and working conditions), negotiations with works councils, unions and authorities, advice on post-merger and acquisition (drafting of employment contracts), restructuring consulting before and in the insolvency.
Non-compete obligations are of great importance for working and economic life.
Dealing with the right of post-contractual restraints causes considerable difficulties and is characterized by legal uncertainties. The legal principles under §§ 74 to 75d HGB (Code of Commerce) has remained unchanged since 1914 and the right of post-contractual restraints is largely a case law.
There is a widespread uncertainty while dealing with post-contractual restraints, which leads to non-compete obligations with serious defective clauses. Many mistakes are made while dealing with effectively agreed restraints on competition, particularly when terminating the employment relationship and reacting on illegal activities. Our aim is to work together with clients to develop legally compliant solutions, which take account of justified interests and guarantee the implementation before labor courts.
In order to recognize defects of clauses and develop strategies for the outgoing worker, it is necessary to have updated knowledge and years of experience. You should know that an inadequate non-competition clause does not necessarily lead to invalidity, but a non-binding competition restraint grants the employee the option whether the prohibition of competition becomes effective or not. This can gain substantial importance especially in the case of separation.